Arlington Cemetery

/, Washington DC/Arlington Cemetery

Arlington House, or the Robert E. Lee Memorial, is situated in Arlington Cemetery.  Originally, it was the Custis-Lee mansion, owned by George Washington’s step-grandson, whose daughter married Robert E. Lee.   For 30 years it was their home, on 600 acres, until the Civil War. Because of its strategic location above a vulnerable capitol, Lincoln didn’t want the Confederate Army to set up armament there.   At the same time, Washington DC’s cemeteries were overflowing with dying soldiers.   Arlington was appropriated as a National Cemetery.  To be sure the Lee family never returned, prominent Union officer graves were dug in the garden next to Arlington House.  In 1955, Arlington House was designated a memorial to Robert E. Lee.

2015-12-16T15:19:06-08:00December 7th, 2015|Virginia, Washington DC|0 Comments

Leave A Comment